The values of the month has had a really positive impact on the ethos of the school.
At Bourne we focus on a set of shared values which help us to work with one another co-operatively and with respect. We learn the importance of friendship and unity, and how to approach life with positivity and hope. These values make our school community happy and harmonious, a fun place, where children feel secure. Our Values are important to all pupils, staff and parents. The whole staff team and all pupils are involved in promoting values and recognising their positive effects around school. The values have been selected by pupils and staff as values which are important within the school community and which will be important throughout life.
WE AIM TO:
- Develop pupils’ understanding of what values are and why they are important in life.
- Encourage children to refer to the school’s shared values when making choices.
- Use the values of the school when solving conflict situations.
- Exemplify the school’s shared values in our own choices.
- Display and share our school values and encourage all visitors to take account of them in their time in the school.
- Encourage parents to support the school’s values by promoting the ‘value of the month’.
- Promote positive behaviour choices by developing strong values within the pupils at the school.
HOW WE DO IT:
- Our Values approach consists of two sets of 11 values over a two year rolling programme.
- Each month a new value is introduced through an explicit values lesson in each class, and the full set of values is displayed in each classroom.
- Further understanding of the value in the context of the school and the wider community is explored and celebrated through assemblies and through the value being promoted by all staff in every aspect of school life.
- Assembly themes will be predominantly values based, and at the end of each month, a pupil from each class is selected or nominated to receive a values certificate for that month.
- Circle time and PHSE lessons will be further opportunities to discuss and promote values within each classroom with informal opportunities being utilised whenever possible, e.g. playtime.
- Our Values are shared and displayed on notice boards, on display in the hall and within each classroom. They are also visible on the school website.
OUR 22 SHARED SCHOOL VALUES
|MONTH||CYCLE 1||CYCLE 2|